The history of the department goes back to the beginning of Prague Polytechnic (the predecessor of UCT, established in 1807). Technical chemistry (particularly inorganic technology) was first offered as an individual study program in the academic year 1863/64. In 1920 Prague Polytechnic was rebuilt and the Czech Technical University was established, incorporating the Faculty of Chemical-Technological Engineering. The Faculty was transformed into an independent university (the Institute of Chemical Technology) in 1952. The branch of inorganic technology was developed primarily by Professor Jaroslav Milbauer (1880-1959) and Professor Albert Regner (1905-1970).
Heads of deparment
1952 - 1970 prof. Ing. Dr. Albert Regner
1970 - 1986 prof. Ing. Jan Vosolsobě, CSc.
1986 - 1993 doc. Ing. Vladimír Mejta, CSc.
1993 - 1997 doc. Ing. Jiří Michálek, CSc.
1997 - 2002 doc. Ing. Bohumil Bernauer, CSc.
2002 - prof. Dr. Ing. Karel Bouzek